Pecans must be available in your market almost all the time of year. They are also available in all forms like shelled, salted, unshelled, sweetened etc. it is better if you buy these pecans with shell and not the processed ones. They are available in airtight packet. You must make sure that the nuts you chose looks healthy from the first look. They must be white color and shell must be healthy looking. There must be no cracks, molds, smell and spots on the pecans you buy.
The raw ones are cut open and processed by large machines. The small machines and hand pliers are used for domestic use.
If you purchase unshelled pecans it can be stored in dry place for a very long time. Let’s say months. Shelled nuts if not airtight packed must be eaten within days as they can become rancid.
Other uses or pecans:
- Pecans can be eaten raw with salt or sweet.
- Although pecans are buttery but they are pleasant in taste. They contain high fats, but the good ones so they are wonderful in recipes and desserts like fudge, puddles, pie, baklava etc.
- You are also sprinkle these nuts over medicines and salads
- They are used in cakes and brownies recipe
- These nuts are used with bread and crust
- Pecans are used in many Chinese recipes
- The oil of pecans is sprinkled over salads and fishes